Saturday, December 1, 2012

An Old Thing

I found this rummaging through my old stuff. It is the fare well talk I gave before embarking on a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.


Becoming a Disciple of Jesus Christ
Brother Kurtis Dallon - My farewell talk. 02/2010

When I get up here I let my nerves get the best of me. My heart seems to thump in a faster and strange beat, my stomach starts to move, and breathing becomes a focus point. So I pray that my words come out right, that through them the spirit may reach you and that my shoulders will stay firmly high above my feet. That I may stand before my ward family today, each of you and share the Gospel and my testimony.

Brothers and Sisters my topic is to prepare to be a missionary. In one statement; to prepare to serve a mission, become a disciple of Christ. To do that we should develop in the footsteps of our Brother Jesus Christ. This is something that we all should seek. The thoughts I have prepared for today are for everyone here. As we are all called to stand as beacons of light, the light of Christ. So that others may see and draw near to the light of Christ. As I prepare to be a full-time missionary, being a mouthpiece for the Lord I more fully understand that being a missionary is not just for a mission, rather a life’s work. I am blessed to dedicate my time and energy solely for this work in the Sao Paulo East Mission of Brazil for two full years. To become a disciple of Jesus Christ is to seek to be like him.

Gain a testimony

I know the Gospel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, restored by the Prophet Joseph Smith, to contain the fullness of the gospel and to be led by God. I know because I tested the principles taught in the words of the Prophets and in the pages of the scriptures. As I applied these truths to my life I find light, which gives me hope. This hope turns to faith, and knowledge. And knowledge is what I seek, knowledge of my father in heaven, to know what he would have me do. Go to the scriptures. It is said ALL the time. This is because it is necessary. We are all in desperate need of the strength and enlightenment that is found studying those pages.
Marion G. Romney
“A sure testimony is the most valuable possession a person can have. It gives [them] the knowledge, the hope, and the assurance that [they]...can, through obedience to the law and ordinances of the gospel, become a partaker of all the promised blessings” (Marion G. Romney, “How to Gain a Testimony,” p. 9).

Use the atonement. I have throughout my life, and will continue to do so. I see it as a tool of hope and joy, not misery and doom. Satan wants us to hide our sins from the Lord as Adam and Eve hid their nakedness in the Garden of Eden. However, God is who we should take our sins to through the atonement of Jesus Christ so that we may overcome them.

We must seek the knowledge of the truthfulness of the Gospel. Realize our potential, our ultimate goal, and our responsibilities. Then start taking action in our choices and being an example to others so that they may see the light of Christ.
Making Choices

2 Nephi 2:25 “men might be; and men are, that they might have joy.” (Have joy, basic purpose. It says might)

Premortal life; the plan of salvation vs. Lucifers plan

One hand- limitations, what is lacking, take offense. Who will I be?
The other hand- See what I have, and feel the love of Christ and see capacity.

Make the right choices. As we do it gets easier. The choices we are faced with are not easier choices. Choices don’t go away. We become more capable to make the right choices as we do so, for the light of Christ rests within us, letting in more room for the spirit.

The choice must be made daily. Sister Gerhardt once gave a missionary moment regarding this. I will tell you out of my own memory and not by any written quotes, so give and take on the details. Her daughter serving a mission in Germany was confronted by a man who stated that she must be brainwashed being a missionary for this church. Inferring her choices and sacrifices were not made by her, rather a mind controlling someone. The idea of taking away the worth of her testimony and the whole reason she was there. Sister Gerhardt's’ daughter then went to explain to this man that she wakes up everyday making the choice to be who she is. Every day she chooses to be a member of this church, and a representative of Christ. This daily commitment is a sign of the validity of her testimony. For can’t we all just one day or in one moment decide to ignore the truth, the spirit? Brothers and Sisters I feel this is so critical for us to endure to the end. As seen all throughout the Book of Mormon, the people were so quick to fall away from the truth they had received. Even in myself I see that at times I want to ignore the truth I have been given in my own idolness, or to follow my selfish desires. We must realize as Sister Gerhardt explained to that man, it is a constant commitment that we must always hold onto. This choice is our own. “Choose you this day whom ye will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15

Stand tall in the Gospel

This next part, which I have titled ‘STAND TALL IN THE GOSPEL,’ I give a quote. It hangs in our home. Nelson Mandela quoted this in a speech:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate,
Our deepest fear is that we are all powerful beyond measure,
It is our light not our darkness that most frightened us.
We ask ourselves,
Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are we not to be?
You are a child of God, your playing small does not serve the world, there is nothing enlightening about shrinking, so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do, We were born to make manifest the glory of God, that is within us, it’s in everyone and as we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
-Nelson Mandela

I don’t need to add anything to that statement. it is true. Stand tall in your testimony.

Service

I was recently reminded the importance and beauty of simple service. Unfortunately, Mother does the dishes in my home. And sometimes others help her. I was once a consistent helper in the field of dirty dish-ware. It was a good habit that I let die. My Grandparents are here for a visit. My grandfather and I were eating lunch. I finished and put my dishes into the sink. When he finished he washed his dishes and put them back in the cupboards. Grandpa explained to me how he developed the habit; when he finished eating, if Grandma was done he would take his dishes and hers, wash and dry them. Then put them away. In this small and simple act of service I was able to see that my Grandfather loves his wife. Alma 37:6 “Behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass.” Love is a very great and powerful choice. In this sweet moment I felt this is what I must do to serve my mission. To forget myself and serve even in the simplest of ways. For we know through the scriptures, this beacon of truth, that this is how great things are accomplished.

In Sister Shayla Whipples letter, read in Sacrament meeting a few weeks ago, I still ponder her realizing in the midst of her frustration with others that Christ died for them too. As I hold onto this my qualm, grudge, or unrighteous feeling I have towards another person goes away. For “[Christ] came into the world...to cleanse it from all unrighteousness.” Doctrine and Covenants 76:41. As I am reminded of the powerful love God has for His children, I realize my anger towards another person is so very wrong. Think of the tremendous love Jesus christ showed in the atonement. That love was for you, it was for me. So remember, the co-worker, neighbor, or even family member that has you tied up in knots has the magnificent love of Jesus Christ as well. As a disciple of Christ it is imperative that we serve Christ’s children.

Matthew 25:35-40: “For I was hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, When saw we thee hungered, and fed thee? Or thirsty and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? and the king shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

No comments:

Post a Comment